17 October 2018 / Club News

Buns Bounce Back In Bowl

National Bowl - 2nd Round
Risca IIs 7 St Albans RFC 54


St Albans RFC travelled to Risca 2nds, in the 2nd Round of the National Bowl,  on the back of their 1st loss of the season the previous Saturday.

The Cup offered players and coaches an early opportunity to bounce back and they were determined to put things right.  The Home forwards provided stiff competition but it was the Buns all round game that comfortably won the day.

Risca started on the front foot with strong carries from their big pack,  The Buns defence held firm and then turned things round  with their 1st attack of the game as a Craig Fish topped off a midfield break with a deft kick through that put George Hunt Pain in under the posts - converted by Mike Thomas.

With their tails up - St Albans got into their stride with Forwards and Backs beginning to link impressively.  Risca initially held out  but it came as no surprise when Thomas dotted down for the  2nd try following some sweeping phase play. that freed up space out wide.  the 3rd try was more of the same - forwards and backs combined before releasing full back, Nathan Hayde, into a gap for the 3rd try again converted by Thomas.

Risca continued to win ball - but it was the Buns' all round game plan winning the day.  Old heads following St Albans were reminded of John Dawes - as young centre, Cameron Escott sold an outrageous dummy before cantering in for the St Albans' 4th try.-  Escott quickly added his second try - again converted by Thomas - giving the Away side an extremely healthy 33-0 Half Time lead.

In fairness to Risca, they again came out firing in the second half - carried the ball with intent and put Stn Albans under pressure. The home side's pressure was rewarded when their winger made an interception and raced over for a deserved try - with conversion added.  Risca were very much in the game for the next 15 minutes - contained the Buns but failed to narrow the gap.

After meeting the Risca fight back, it was St Albans who were to finish the game strongly with three unanswered converted tries. The Buns' 6th try - his first for the Club - came from flanker Ian Griffiths finishing off a forward move - converted by Thomas,  Not to ber outdone, Jamie Boyle looked to get into the action and ythe prop crashed over to stretch the Buns' lead to 47-0.  

The ffinal try of the game fittingly from combined phase play.  Wing, Owen Bradshaw capped a fine display by breaking down the wing, cutting in to beat two defenders before scoring under the posts - Thomas converting.

A satisfying win on the road for St Albans - followed by a 'social' at a nearby brewery.  The Cardiff side received a 'bye' in the 3rd round of the Bowl - taking them through to the last 32.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments