12 September 2018 / Club News

No Place Like Home - Bonus Point Win for Buns

St Albans RFC 41 Tonyrefail RFC 14

(Thanks to ATF Schemes, Cardiff for MATCH SPONSORSHIP)

After a very hard fought First Half, St Albans RFC cut loose in the Second Half to register a bonus point win against a very committed and competitive Tonyrefail side.

Playing their first Home league game of the season, the Buns welcomed Tonyrefail who are celebrating their125 year anniversary.  With the Buns waiting for their blue 'change kit' (sponsored by Pacific Marine Ltd.), Ton quickly and kindly agreed to play in red to avoid any colour clash -   All at the Buns are very grateful.
With both teams winning their league openers, Ton made the early running backed by a strong wind and a healthy travelling support.  The away side were in the ascendancy, created the early chances but the home side's defence held firm for the opening quarter.  The wind was always going to be a factor and the Buns were delighted when full back, Nathan Hayde raced through a gap to find lock, Dan Molcher on his shoulder to gallop in wide from distance. for a 5-0 lead.  Normal service was resumed and Tonyrefail went back on the attack - and despite sound home defence the wall cracked and the visitors took a 7-5 lead with a converted try.  Ton looked to build on their lead - missed deveral chances - but the Buns who encouragingly hung onto the ball for good phase play were always dangerous on the counter.  Close to half time, the Buns advanced up the pitch and centre Mike Thomas crashed over to give his side a 10-7 interval lead - despite their lack of first half territory.
The Buns gave their opponents a lesson in the Second Half on how to use a strong wind at your back.  Almost straight from the kick off, impressive number 8, Charlie Smith was put in space  and raced away fror a try converted by Ellis Jones. The Buns backs launched the ball downfield - saving their energy to launch attacks on the Ton line.  Forwards and backs linked impressively as they laid siege to the visitors' line.
Backed by a good home crowd, further tries followed.  Ton realised that they needed to score quickly however a promising move resulted in an interception for Cameron Escott who glided in from 40 yards for the Bonus Point try converted by Jones - to give the Buns a 24-7 lead.
With their tails up, St Albans attacked at every opportunity and further tries came from Ellis Jones, his first for the Club, Charlie Smith, completing a double and the try of the game from Nathan Hayde - converted by Jones.

The score did not reflect Tonyrefail's contribution to the game - they never triedand it was fitting to close the game down and attacked wherever possible.   It was fitting that Ton finished with the final converted try of the game to close proceedings at 41-14..

The game was well reffed by Tim Edwards who joined both sides in the Clubhouse for some refreshment,

Next Saturday the Buns stay at Home for a National Bowl tie against Penallta RFC IIs.

On a nearby pitch, the St Albans IIs played their first game of the season - going down to old friends Old Illts IIs 22-14 in a very entertaining game played under 'Game On' rules.  With 'old heads' featuring for both sides it was a trip down memory lane. 

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments